Sunday, May 18, 2008

Salt Lake Century Ride

I feel privileged to say that after much convincing myself, butterflies from fear, and some preparations I road in the Salt Lake Century Bike Ride on Saturday. 100 miles on a bicycle can be rough. In preparations for the St. George ride this coming Thursday (yes the butterflies and fear are still around) we did the Century ride. We had quite the crew riding with us. Our group consisted of some 15 riders that were family or friends of my brother or dad. Of those 15 I think most of them have jumped on the band wagon and are doing the St. George ride.

The picture above is the group we rode with and the guy who took the pictures finger. That is me right in the middle. I feel pretty good about the ride. I finished in 5 hours and 35 minutes (on the bike time) and averaged 17 miles per hour. The race provided food and stops every twenty miles stocked with oranges, bananas, all kinds of treats, lunch, Gatorade, water and much more. It was really awesome. Today being Sunday I am recovering and resting. I have some sore muscles, but feel a whole lot better than I thought I would. While on the ride I drank at least 12 water bottles full of water and never peed the entire race. Seeing that most of the riders in our group have been riding for years unlike me who bought my road bike some 3 or 4 months ago I feel I did pretty well. On top of just getting my bike I have had one serious bike accident, a tip over on my bike and very little time to train. All in all I am proud to say I enjoyed the ride. While on the ride your body goes through so many emotions. You feel fine and good, and then you hit rock bottom. There were a few times where I got dropped by the group due to hitting the wall and being exhausted, but I finished.
I am little worried about the St. George Trip. What started as a casual ride with mostly my family and a couple other guys has now turned in to a large group ride, with some seriously strong rides. At first I agreed to ride knowing that it would be a little laid back, but I don't know how much it will be like that. So I am just trying to keep an open mind and be positive for the ride.

3 comments:

Chellor said...

Hey I found you! Girl you are amazing!!! Biking and running are two things I've always told myself I'm going to start doing and end up going another year without learning. Maybe this is the summer and you can help me out. Yes? :) Anyway, I totally spaced asking you about it today so tomorrow you'll have to tell me all about your killer ride! Deal. ;)

Em said...

I am so proud of you and so impressed!!! MIss you!

Janelle said...

Ok it isn't that I don't want you to watch my dog and just know he is a hand full and especially with roommates I am sure he would drive all of you nuts! especially the one who gets poop under there bed haha :) It's june 5th to the 8th. We leave in the afternoon on the 5th and Jeremy comes back before noon on the 8th. If you want him he is yours but only if I can pay you